Principal Software Engineer (Boston, Rochester or Remote)
Principal Software Engineer, Cloud and Infrastructure (Hybrid or Remote)
As a Principal Software Engineer in this role, you will be responsible for the definition and implementation of the Casana cloud solution architecture. You will partner closely with the Director of Engineering and the Cloud, Algorithm, and Firmware teams to design and optimize cloud-based applications and infrastructure to meet the organization's performance, scalability, observability, quality, regulatory, and security requirements.
As a Principal Engineer you will not have direct reports, however you’re a critical leader in the engineering organization taking responsibility for the short and long-term success of the products and the business overall. This position requires strong communication and leadership skills to collaborate across the software teams, with other departments, and with organizational leaders. While this is a technical leadership role, it requires significant direct contribution to the codebase for the projects you’re involved with. This role reports to the Sr. Director of Software Engineering.
What You’ll Do:
- Own the overall design, architecture, infrastructure, and technical road-map for the cloud applications
- Understand the product architecture acting as a system engineer to ensure the cloud solution integrates seamlessly with the hardware, firmware, and algorithm components.
- Lead by example as a hands on contributor helping the team to deliver commitments on-schedule
- Drive results through leadership, collaboration, and influence
- Act as a liaison between software engineering and other departments in the organization
- Ensure strong design controls are employed in support of Casana’s Quality Management System
- Advocate for technical quality and stability in balance with delivering product features
- Partner with the Product team to provide high level estimates and proof of concept work in support of the product roadmap
- Ensure observability, metrics, monitoring, and analytics are designed into the solution
- Champion, drive, and ensure the application of secure coding standards
- Lead the teams to assist with complex root cause analysis
- Champion continuous improvement of both software and process
- Collaborate with the IT team to provide operational support for server, storage and/or network infrastructure
- Provide technical guidance and assistance to other personnel as well as vendors
- Other responsibilities as needed
What You’ll Bring:
- Masters Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or closely related engineering field and/or equivalent work experience
- 8+ years of experience developing production software using PHP + Symfony / Node.js / Java / C#
- 3+ years of experience developing web applications using Angular or React
- 3+ years of experience leading technical teams / large scale projects
- Experience developing software for Class II/III medical devices or MDaaS
- Expert in cloud application development, microservice architecture, scalability, and API development
- Advanced knowledge of Postgres, mySQL, MongoDB, or similar database technologies
- Advanced understanding of containerization and experience with docker/podman, Kubernetes/AKS/EKS
- Excellent root cause analysis and troubleshooting competency
- Excellent communications skills: written, verbal, and interpersonal
- Strong analytical, root cause analysis, and problem solving skills
- You enjoy mentoring and look forward to collaborating with diverse teams
- You thrive in a fast paced environment that often requires learning new skills
- You place a high value on quality and attention to detail
- You believe in a culture of respect and inclusivity
Casana is innovating healthcare delivery with a smart toilet seat that enables effortless, integrated, and consistent in-home health monitoring. The Heart Seat® captures key clinical values, including FDA cleared heart rate, blood oxygenation, and future clinical measurements in development such as blood pressure.
The healthcare system has been searching for this actionable intelligence for decades, and it turns out, we were sitting on a great idea all along.
[$160,000 - $180,000] Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience and location. Our compensation consists of base salary and equity as well as a generous benefits package.
Casana provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.